There are many things that can impact whether a person decides to buy a product or not. Social proof is one of the biggest factors that goes into this decision. A high percentage of consumers look at product reviews and ask people before deciding to purchase a product. Studies show that product reviews are 12 times more trusted than reviews from manufacturers!
There are a few different kinds of social proof that you should be aware of. Here they are in short:
- Expert – when something gets approval from a known expert or influencer.
- Celebrity – an endorsement from celebrities.
- User – approval from current users of the service or product.
- Wisdom of the crowds – approval from large groups of other people.
- Wisdom of your friends – what your friends like and talk about on social media.
How Can You Start Using Social Proof?
Using social proof is imperative if you want to increase your conversions! You can use the following techniques:
- Add customer testimonials to your website.
- Emphasize follower and subscriber numbers on your blog.
- Build relationships with influencers and work together so they can promote you.
Bear in mind that if you plan on approaching celebrities and influencers, they must suit your product/brand. If they aren’t suited, it can cause more harm than good in the long run!
You can see from the below infographic how many people rely on reading reviews before buying a product. The majority of people do care about reviews and read them sometimes at the very least!
credit to Safe to do business