There are many things that can impact whether a person decides to buy a product or not. Social proof is one of the biggest factors that goes into this decision. A high percentage of consumers look at product reviews and ask people before deciding to purchase a product. Studies show that product reviews are 12 times more trusted than reviews from manufacturers!
There are a few different kinds of social proof that you should be aware of. Here they are in short:
- Expert – when something gets approval from a known expert or influencer.
- Celebrity – an endorsement from celebrities.
- User – approval from current users of the service or product.
- Wisdom of the crowds – approval from large groups of other people.
- Wisdom of your friends – what your friends like and talk about on social media.